Tuesday, January 31, 2012

...give directions for the duck tape letters.

Disclaimer: This isn't a fancy web tutorial. I don't have any pictures, and the steps may be lacking in descriptions. This is just a simple list of directions for how I made the duck tape letters in my last post: http://www.atimetoblog.com/2012/01/duck.html. Feel free to pass this on, improve upon it, or completely change these to fit your projects!

Here's the skinny on my duck tape letters:

I just found a font I liked and printed the letters out large.

Then, I cut them out and laid wax paper over them (so I could see the letters thru the wax paper.

Then, I stuck the duck tape on the wax paper trying to match the pattern up along the edges and making sure the letters would be covered.

Next, I flipped the whole thing over and traced the letters onto the wax paper with a pencil.

Then, I cut out the traced letters.

The tricky part was peeling the duck tape off the wax paper backing. If you go slow, it works a little better. Ripping it off may leave some wax paper behind if you pressed hard while tracing.

Then, you just stick the tape on your project in strips to reform the letters.

Since it's duck tape, you can reposition a bit as long as you press down lightly at first. I liked how forgiving the tape was. I could pull it up a bit and smooth out any bubbles or wrinkles too.

I think you could do a lot of things with duck tape letters. Plus, at $3 a roll, it can be a lot cheaper than vinyl lettering! That said, duck tape won't come off the wall as neatly as vinyl. So, I guess they both have their place.

1 comment:

TheRapunzelGirl said...

super fun!! and, frankly, if you're going to put them on cute little bits of canvas like it looks like you did, then who cares if it doesn't come off clean?

Related Posts with Thumbnails