Monday, November 24, 2008

...be a bit disappointed in Twilight.

So, I got better and got to the movie theater. (Yea!) However, Twilight, was not all that I had hoped it would be. I'm not a movie critic, so I won't pretend to review it. I'll just share what I thought.

I know that you can't cram everything from the book into the movie. My issue isn't that something was left out. It's more the opposite. I think that they tried to do too much. By cramming so much in, a lot of the depth was lost. I think if they would have left out a few more details, then the movie might have been more cohesive. As it is, I would find the movie hard to follow if I hadn't read the book. That's a big thing for me. I think the movie should tell a good story even if it strays from the book.

That said, there were a lot of small things I did like. (If you haven't seen it yet, I might SPOIL a few things in this paragraph!) I liked that Stephanie Meyer pulled a Stan Lee...although she did so with a huge "I'm in a movie!" grin. Next time maybe she'll play it cool. It makes it more fun for us if it's not so obvious. What I was surprised at was the funny banter between Bella and her father. Before seeing the movie, I wasn't sure about Billy Burke for Charlie Swan. I really liked him in the movie. In fact, I liked all the casting. The actors were believable.

To sum up, there was good and bad. I think I'll wait until DVD on the next movie (I'm guessing there will be another). I will be re-reading the book now that I have new pictures in my head of what Forks really looks like. And my advice is 1) read the book before you see the movie and 2) don't go with high expectations. Remember that Twilight is first and foremost a good BOOK!

3 comments:

TheRapunzelGirl said...

i was one of those who *gasp!* didn't like the books much, so i'm not planning on seeing the movie(s) . . . although the guy who plays edward is smokin' hot . . . but that's not enough to get me to see a movie based on a book that i found too many faults with *sigh*

Sam Ransom said...

First, I LOVE the new backround!! Way cool! Second, I haven't read the books so I also haven't seen the movie. Maybe one of these days I will get around to reading them.

Tina said...

Janette - It doesn't surprise me that you didn't like the books. I'm no English Lit major, but I'll admit that they aren't perfect. Rob is hot, but you're right about that not being worth seeing the movie.

Sam - Thanks. Maybe I'll settle on this background for a while. I recommend the books for a fun, clean read. Although I'm a fan, I understand that not everyone is--especially of the teen drama stuff. You can probably imagine how much your brother hates them! ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails