Friday, April 30, 2010

...swish, swat, or swinge?!

Is a "swish" still a "swish" if the ball doesn't fall?

There was a swishing sound as my ball slipped into the net, but there it sat. I waited for it to fall. It didn't. So, I decided to make the best of this moment by grabbing my cell phone and snapping away. I even made some video...




What's a "white girl" to do?! I am 5 feet, 5 & 3/4 inches. When I actually played basketball on a school team, my best jump allowed me to graze the net. I'm more than twice the age I was then and roughly 20 pounds heavier. I felt as stuck as my basketball for a while. Then, I figured it out.




Swat! It's silly, I know. Hey! A girl's got to do what a girl's got to do. And I did...over and over. I think I had to swat my stuck swish shots free nearly 10 times this morning. This net needs something more than simple hoops.

I think a swinge might be in order. I'm not making that word up. It's one of our favorite words that James and I have discovered...usually due to a dictionary fight. ("That's not a real word. You're making that up!" "No, I'm not. Look it up." "Okay, I will." "Well, did you find it?" "Yeah, maybe...but I found an even better word!") Swinge means to smite or thrash. It's a little bit more aggressive than swatting. So, I think a royal swingeing might be in order!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails