Thursday, February 17, 2011

...see red.


Watch out folks, it's going to take over the planet!!! Yep. It's my hair. So, why did I take a picture of it and post it to my blog? (By the way, it's hard to take a self portrait of just your hair!) Well, it's not just on my head. Lately, my hair has been on my mind.

It's color is what's been getting noticed lately. I was walking home from the farmers' market this morning when a stranger greeted me.

"How are you doing, Red?" asked the man with silver hair.

Red? Really? Is it red? And if so, why do folks seem to feel comfortable issuing strangers familiar nicknames based on hair color? He doesn't know me. But because of my hair color, he has an immediate fondness for me and boldness to address me in kind? My hair color has certainly brought out boldness in strangers of all sorts. People ask me about my temper. People ask me if it is natural. People even ask me about my heritage (am I a stepchild?!).

What's all the fuss? I'm not even sure I qualify as a red head. I do color my hair, but only to cover the gray. It's pretty much my natural color lighted in the California sun. My color is somewhere between blond and brown with some red. I'll agree to a light auburn, but where do all the red comments and questions come from? It's not like I am a "carrot top." Perhaps being a redhead is novel. I wonder what percentage of the population has read hair...2-6% of the US population according to Wikipedia. So, I suppose it is rare.

What do you think? Is it red? Is it worth the fuss?

Honestly, I think my hazel eyes are more striking than my light auburn hair. However, it's hard to ignore a crazy head of hair bent on world domination...

2 comments:

Cari said...

As you said, not carrot top but yes, red. The problem with being a red head is that those people who like red heads are CRAZY about them so they point it out, especially if it is natural. My mother is one of those crazy people.

Tina said...

I think you are right. People that like redheads, REALLY like redheads!

Related Posts with Thumbnails