Tuesday, July 14, 2009

...go to the commissary!

A few posts ago, I confessed to being a salesaholic. For those of you that understand the benefit of shopping at the commissary, you may understand how thrilling it is for me to shop there as a salesaholic. For those of you not as familiar with how much shopping at the commissary helps military families, let me share today's outing:

Before I left, I noticed a good deal on the weekly Target add for my area. They are having a special offer on the dog food we buy for Lucy. Buy two 15.5 lb bags on sale for $14.39 and get a $5 Target gift card. What a deal?!

Well, I wondered if the commissary could do better. I needed a few things like milk and sugar, so off to the commissary I went. The same dog food was on sale at the commissary too. Their sale price was $12.69.

You may be thinking that I might save a wee bit more at Target. After all, $14.39 X2 minus $5 for the gift card comes out to $11.89 a bag.

But wait! The commissary bag has a military coupon stuck to it for an additional $1 off. Plus, I don't need to buy two bags to get the discount. So, my bag of dog food ended up costing $11.69. The commissary does it again!

Do I even need to mention that I also paid $1.55 for a gallon of skim milk that goes for almost $4 in the local groceries?!

They say that it is worth the trip to the commissary, and they aren't kidding!

Salesaholic + Commissary = Love

4 comments:

Sam Ransom said...

What a deal! I'm amazed by the milk as well! We spend a fortune on that because we both drink a lot of milk! I think it and cold cereal account for like half our grocery budget! hehehe

Unknown said...

Hooray for saving money! Somehow (have no idea how, though) milk is actually cheaper here in CA than most of the rest of the country. By in multiples of 2, and it's $1.89. Not too shabby! But, your $1.55 is still better. Good job, Tina!

Tina said...

No way! I never thought milk would be under $2 in CA. Even if you have to buy two, that's good--especially for outside the commissary!

Meagan said...

I want a commissary to shop at. Our milk is around $3 a gallon. Amazing deals! You Rock Tina.

Related Posts with Thumbnails