Thursday, August 6, 2009

...be wrong!

Well, I went down to the gym today to test my theory. I lied to the machine by taking ten years off my age. Then, I did the same work out as before. And the "calories burned" number came out...higher! What?! This totally blows my theory of age advantage out the window. Maybe I was feeling a little more peppy today. I might not be a very scientific constant. Maybe the age doesn't matter too much in the machine calculations. Whatever the case, I did not prove my theory true. I'm not sure that I have enough data to say that the theory is disproved, but it's not looking good, folks.

What do you think? Was I just having a good day today? Could the theory still be true?

2 comments:

Hokie said...

I thought of your theory when I was at the gym today...but I didn't lie about my age so I can't help your study. Maybe next time.

Cari said...

Actually your theory is probably backwards. In general, younger people have better metabolism which means that your body is more productive at useing the calories that it takes in. This is probably why they ask your age in the first place and why you get a higher number when you put in the lower age even though you did about the same amount of work. Test it over a period of time if you really want to get a good answer instead of relying on one workout.

Related Posts with Thumbnails