Wednesday, August 19, 2009

...enjoy the fruit of no labor.


This is another post that will reference the apartment complex dumpsters. This time I did not find fish being thrown out, but it does concern a living thing. Tomatoes to be exact. Some time ago, a tomato seed found its way to the dirt just outside the dumpster. A plant grew without any human encouragement. I watched to see if fruit would appear. Soon I saw green Roma tomatoes weighting down the plant. Last night, I thought I saw one had turned red. Even though we walked right past the dumpsters, I forgot all about it on Lucy's morning walk. I was reminded of it this afternoon. So, Lucy and I headed out to see if I would be the first neighbor to see the ripening tomato. I was! I picked the half orange-half read tomato and took it home with me. It will ripen fully on my counter. I have plans to slice it up and eat it with sugar for a nice summer treat. Ahhh, the fruit of no labor!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How cool is that. Rosie would gladly join you in eating it. Romas are her favorite. We have been slowly enjoying our tomato plants fruit. we seem to get one or two red one a week now. Still lots of green ones hanging on.

Colton Anne said...

My kind of garden...no work!

Angie said...

NeaT! We once had mini pumpkins growing in our compost. We harvested them and they adorned our house one Autumn. Something about that was just so COOL to me:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails