Monday, August 2, 2010

...fold.


I'm the girl that had 1,000 paper cranes at her wedding. People remember the tulle canopy that hung the birds below in a wave pattern. They were folded with care by dear friends and family. I folded several myself before coming down with mono a month before the big day. If it weren't for my gracious folders, the very memorable origami installation would not have been. It meant a lot to me personally, and left an impression on several that stood under it. I even saved a few of the cranes as keepsakes. Ten years later, I took one out and photographed it for this post.

If you think that is something, then read on!

My 1,000 paper cranes have nothing on the origami in "Between the Folds," a PBS, Independent Lens documentary. It blew my mind! From amazing sculpture to advanced mathematics and all the way to protein folding; this far beyond any journey you can take in a paper boat. I had no idea that that people gather at origami conventions. I marvel at the the patience and devotion these paper artists display. Maybe it's time for me to learn to fold more than a paper crane.

There's a whole paper world out there!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that. I had forgotten about folding the ones for Melissa, and I'm sorry I didn't fold any for you. I guess I was a little busy thinking of myself around that time. Glad you made it to 1000.

Tina said...

I should have mentioned where they all came from. It was Melissa, after all, that challenged me to it. LOL I remember staying and folding cranes on the night before her wedding. 'Good times! :)

Hokie said...

I peraonally learned a great talent that has served for entertaining nieces and nephews at church. I once learned how to fold a frog and a heart but can't remember how to do it now...guess I have to do about 500 to get it fully engrained.

Meagan said...

Congrats on your 10 year anniversary. The cranes were amazing and beautiful.

Related Posts with Thumbnails