Thursday, February 19, 2009

...be green or OCD!

It's not easy being green! I try to do what I can in my little apartment. I recycle containers and paper by bringing them to the county drop off points. A large part of my paper recycling comes from the mail. Those of you that know me well, know how OCD I can be about some things. Well here's one of them: plastic envelope windows.


What's the point?! Sure, you can see thru the envelope to read an address. Why not print it on the front of the envelope instead? Can ink be that much more expensive than plastic? I can't recycle the little plastic window. So, what do I do? I rip the plastic window section off and recycle the rest. Yes. "Nerdy," I know.

So, I did a little researching. Guess what I found out? You don't need to tear out the little plastic windows. They will get processed out when the paper is turned into pulp. The same is true with the little plastic window in pasta boxes...that I also feel a compulsive need to tear out.

Of course, the plastic isn't recycled. So, the plastic windows still annoy me...because they seem more of a waste than useful necessity.

What do you all think? Has anyone found a use for the silly plastic windows so that they can be recycled and not just discarded? Am I too OCD on this?

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I have thrown those in with the paper recycle bag but I do not see why you could not put them the plastic things bag. Also, you could come up with some kind of fun card (birthday, thank you) with the plastic piece.

Related Posts with Thumbnails