Thursday, March 26, 2009

...vacation!

I can feel the warmth of the sun through my eyelids. The smell of salt tickles my nose. The distant sound of a seagull's squawk tells my ear that I am not entirely alone. My feet sink deeper in the sand as the water retreats once more to the ocean. The gentle breeze at my back seems to gently push as if offering a hand to steady me.

With a sigh, I turn my head. My eyes flutter open as my hair grazes my face. Strands moistened by the humid air stick and stay. I brush them away with my hands. The wind gusts again, sending more wisps of hair twisting towards my face like tentacles.


Tentacles!


My dozing consciousness is startled awake by something in my peripheral vision. My calm is broken by what I now recognize as a stranded jellyfish lying on the shore just behind me. It must have hitched a ride on the last few waves. Now abandoned by its carrier, the jellyfish lies dangerously strew across the sand.

Another wave rolls forward threatening to mix tentacle with ankle. I stumble sideways to avoid the ethereal strands now floating in the shallow water.


Out of danger, I survey the area. The size of the jellyfish is impressive.


Something about this situation strikes me as familiar.
Gradually, things come into focus for me.


It's just Lucy's old rope bone!


I need a VACATION!

5 comments:

TheRapunzelGirl said...

you almost had me there . . . but i thought: "boy, that sand sure looks like beige carpet!"

Sam Ransom said...

You definately need a vacation! Silly girl!

Unknown said...

That was awesome.

Unknown said...

Um, yes, you do need a visit to the beach!

Hokie said...

Great story, and great pics...I had never seen a jelly fish in real life so I fell for it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails