Monday, October 18, 2010

...add and "h."


I hear a lot of fancy talk in church. We read scripture and say prayers that have "thee" and "thou" words. I haven't given a lot of thought to one of the old words until yesterday. For some reason, the word "O" got me thinking. What is it? Why do we use it? On my own, I figured out that it is an expression. However, I wanted to find out if there was more to "O."

There is more to "O." Nowadays there is an "h." The word "oh" is the later spelling of "O." Yep. It's as simple as that. According to Dictionary.com, folks have been adding the "h" since the mid-16th century.

Well, that explains a lot. It all makes perfect sense. Why didn't I know "O" was "oh?" It seems so simple now. Isn't is funny how the mind will not make a simple connection like that? Maybe it's just me...I wonder how often I miss things that simple in daily life.

Have you ever missed something as simple as adding an "h?"

2 comments:

Hokie said...

I am not sure if I have made the connection before either but, "O" seems so prober and old English while "oh" seems so casual and slang, it seems reasonable to not make the connection.

Tina said...

Whew! 'Glad I'm not the only one. Yep. "Oh" seems a lot more casual.

Related Posts with Thumbnails