Sunday, June 14, 2009

...get Lucy...Lucy! Lulu! Lalu! Come back, Lucy!!!


You can tell by the gloves on the table that I took this a few months ago. I've been waiting on a good time to use this photo. Lucy likes to hide under the table when she's been bad or is feeling a bit insecure.

Well, Lucy got in trouble this week. I was trying her off leash at a local elementary school since there are no off leash parks anywhere near us. It started out okay. Lucy ran, retrieved, and sniffed out the whole area.

Things took a turn towards disobedience when she discovered the break in the fence. I called her back, but there was no stopping the Lucinator!* She was on the trail of something. I could tell that much by the way I could see her bob and weave thru the pasture on the other side of the fence. By the time I had scaled the fence and made my way thru the knee high grass, she was wagging her tail while she held something in her mouth. My thought was, "Oh, dear! What has she killed?"

As I approached, she dropped her prize for me to inspect. I stood there gazing at softball sized turtle shell covered in slobber. The turtle was inside and no doubt in the shock of it's tiny little life! I wasn't sure that it would ever come out again.

I lured my hound back to the schoolyard with her prey. It was back on the leash for Miss. Lucy! I didn't have the heart to scold her more after she had just done what hunting instincts told her too. However, we won't be headed back to this spot for leash free fun.

By the way, the turtle walked off after a while. So, I guess it wasn't too traumatized from the whole experience.






*Lucinator, Lulu, Ludu, Lalu, and Lucifur are nicknames that Lucy has gotten from time to time. Another Lucy-ism is that we say we are "Lucified" after we find Lucy's hair on our clothes. So, Lucy's fur is where the Lucifur nickname comes in. As onery as she can get, we don't call her Lucifer.

2 comments:

Sam Ransom said...

Oh my!! First you are brave/nuts doing the no leash thing. Wow! Second what a pretty shell on that turtle! Glad that the turtle wasn't scared forever! Good hunting Lucy!

Lisa said...

If it makes you feel better, Lucky did the same thing to a turtle. Of course, it was in our back yard. I don't dare let him off the leash out of the yard. The kids were able to rescue the turtle and set it free in the woods down the street.

Related Posts with Thumbnails