Wednesday, January 13, 2010

...purge. Okay. Who am I kidding?!

So, I've heard people say that we should throw things away that we haven't used in 6 months. However, there are certain items that one may not use for six months, but need in 7 or 8 months. What about the space heater that gets turned off in April not to be utilized until October or November? That could cost a lot of money to buy a new one every year. Or what about a pool noodle? Sure, it's silly and cheap. But I wonder what the impact on the environment is for purging and repurchasing countless pool noodles over and over each year.

Some of you are snickering at me for holding on to my pool noodle. Is it justification for senseless, small scale hording? Is this an outward manifestation of my fear of change? Does being a packrat give me a sense of security in holding on to the familiar often lost in this mad, mad world?

Or am I just being silly and need to let it go?!

"It" is the point I'm trying to argue here in this post. Of course, I'm keeping the pool noodle!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, good. You can use it when you stop by. :)

Lisa said...

I don't think the purge thing relates to season specific items. However, if you have 20 pool noodles, it may be time to reconsider. I am really trying to work on my "pack rat tendencies".

Tina said...

Bethany - sounds like a plan!

Lisa - a pass for season specific items sounds reasonable. I'm trying to work on my "pack rat tendencies" too. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails