Monday, January 5, 2009

...count!

I'm 34 today, and it has got me thinking.

How do you count your birthday?

Some people do it in strange and unusual ways. This strange counting phenomenon is usually observed beginning sometime around the 30th birthday. Some folks stop counting at 29. Others add the two digits together to get a smaller one (34 would be 3+4=7). I have a friend I used to work with that just adds asterisks to her name after the year of her choice. So, a 34 year old would look something like 30****.

I'm not in denial about being in my 30's. I have recently questioned just where in my 30's I am. I'm no longer barely 30. I'm not smack dab in the middle. That would be 35. However, I've concluded that I'm entering the mid 30's. Here's how I count it: I drop the "big 0's" of 30 and 40 away. That leaves you with 9 in-between numbers easily divided into three categories; early, mid, and late. So, the early 30's are years 31, 32, & 33. The mid 30's are years 34, 35, & 36. That leaves 37, 38, & 39 for the late 30's.

Is it a big deal to be in my mid-30's? Was the "early 30's" title something I'll miss or mourn? I don't know! I just turned 34 today!!! I'll have to wait an see...

7 comments:

Cari said...

Happy Birthday! My theory is that you are only as old as you think. Ie. if you think like a 3 year old, you are still only 3 and it can definately vary from day to day. This is why my dad will never be old. :)

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, roomie! Since you're only seven now, I'm older than you!!! Because I'll be 11 next month. Hope it has been lovely!

Rebecca said...

Happy Birthday! I am about to join the mid-thirties, 30****, 7, however you want to count it myself next month. Hope you had a nice birthday!

Tina said...

Thanks, you guys! :)

Lisa said...

I agree, you are only as old as you think/feel. I never really thought of 30's as old. I plan on living until at least 90, so I am not even halfway there. I really only start feeling old when I realize my baby will officially be a teenager this year (she turns 13). ugh.

Tina said...

Lisa - I think you and I are nearly the same age. That means I'm old enough to have a teenage daughter (this year) too! Wow! ;)

Lisa said...

Yeah, I turn 34 in May.

Related Posts with Thumbnails