Friday, January 30, 2009

...consider the process.

I have one more snowy picture to share from this week. I took it this morning, so these snow balls have had a time to melt a bit. This is not a picture of what was once a snowman. This is the snowman that never was!

As the snow fell on Tuesday afternoon, I cam across a young man with a plan. He was joyfully heaving an already large snowball. I asked him what his goal was. With enthusiasm, he told me that this was going to be a huge snowman. I decided to come back later to see his finished work. I returned to see three large, unstacked snowballs. Why did the snowman never get completed? Perhaps the young man was too tired after pushing those snowballs around for hours. Maybe the snowballs were too heavy to stack or even lift.

I've thought about this situation as I've passed these snowballs each day. For me, they communicate the uncompleted process. Sadly, because the snowman is incomplete, we don't get to see the young man's vision become reality. There's a truth here. Metaphorically speaking, I think we all do this from time to time. We happily busy ourselves with grand visions in our heads until we are too exhausted to finish. So what is the problem? Are we so in love with the vision that we don't think through the process?

Why do we sometimes end up with snowballs instead of snowmen?

1 comment:

Sam Ransom said...

Hmm have you been watching my life lately??!!! I always have these grand plans... and yet.. maybe they are too grand to really accomplish. You've made me think today!

Related Posts with Thumbnails