Saturday, January 3, 2009

...ride trains, planes, and automobiles!

Although I'm feeling better today, I'm still taking it easy. So, I have no excuse to put off blogging about my crazy travel, right?!

Okay, here it is:

The 11th of December started early--way early! I had to get up and go in with my husband in time for his formation. He had permission to drive me across base to the train station afterward. I got my ticket very early in the morning (as you can see in the pic). My travels started with the VRE (Virginia Rail Express), a local commuter train out of Quantico. I had a friendly conversation with a daily commuter about her knitting.

Then, I hopped off at the Franconia stop to switch to the Metro rail. This train was more like the trains in Chicago. The people were packed in clutching their coffee and/or morning newspaper. I didn't strike up any conversations here. Besides, it didn't take me too long to reach Ronal Reagan National Airport.

My third (or fourth if you count my car ride to base) form of transportation was the shuttle bus to Terminal A. Then it was thru security and to the gate to...wait and wait. I was there an hour early for my flight. At least I was there. So far, things were going well.

Things continued to go well as my first flight went without any trouble. I had a window seat, but the clouds didn't let me see the DC sites. I've flown over DC before. Once we went right over the Pentagon. That is quite the view if you have September 11th in mind! Soon I landed in Detroit.

Detroit gave way to yet another mode of transportation. So, let's first review my tally so far; 1) car, 2) VRE train, 3) Metro train, 4) shuttle bus, 5) plane. All of this was before lunch! Let me tell you folks, I was a little hungry. So, I stopped by the snack shop to get me a slice of gingerbread...But maybe I shouldn't have. My layover was not as long as I thought. My connecting flight was boarding in 20 minutes. I was at gate 70-something and needed to get to gate 29! Thank goodness for mode of transportation number 6: the moving walkway.

I know it's called the "moving walkway" because it kept telling me so. "Use caution as you exit the moving walkway." "Use caution as you exit the moving walkway." "Use caution as you..." You get the idea. It's a good thing that there were like six of these things in between the two gates. I made it just as my flight began to board. Whew! I was dissappointed to learn that I had missed out on another form of transportation. Apparently Detroit's airport is so large that they have an express tram inside that goes back and forth along the huge terminal. I spied that going by overhead about halfway thru my moving walkway dash. Rats! So, my transportation tally stayed at six for the moment.

After I boarded, my flight to Memphis was uneventful. I will take a second to let you in on a OCD travel habit I have. I always touch the outside of the airplane as I board. Maybe it's for good luck. Maybe it's to reasure myself that the plane is sturdy metal that won't just drop out of the air. I'm not really afraid of flying, so we'll go with the first. It's for luck.

When I got to Memphis, I knew right away that I was in Elvis country. From a full Elvis jumpsuit on display to spiraling keyboard floor tile, the Memphis airport was festive. Forget "festive," I was ready to feast! I finally ate as I waited for my final flight of the day.

My final flight was on what I would call a "puddle jummper." My previous flights had been your standard jet aircraft. This little puppy had propellors! I watched them speed up and blur into a transparent rotation. Is it just me, or is anyone else thinking of Indiana Jones now?! I think of that propellor scene every time...

I was saved from my mind reviewing the bloody scene by another friendly traveler. She was headed to Columbia to see her friends new baby. (You might find this a little ironic when I blog about the reasons for my own trip. This blog entry is already way too long!) It was her first time to mid-MO. I let her know when I spied the State Capitol. FYI: By my watch, it took all of about 5 minutes to fly from Jefferson City to the Columbia airport.

I saw my dad waiting for me before I climbed down the stairs to the runway. He had brought the truck. Should we call this a new mode of transportation? Is the number up to 6, 7, 8? Anyway, you get the idea. It was 4pm Central time, and Tina was tired.

Hopefully I haven't tired you out with this supper long post. Thanks for reading. Soon to come is my "graduation, funeral, & wedding all in one day" post. 'Until then, may all your travels be terriffic!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

It is amazing what it take to get half way across the U.S.

Lisa said...

WOW.

Related Posts with Thumbnails